|Photo: Flaky layered dough (Feteer Meshaltet ) recipe|
4¾ cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2 cups water
• Put flour, salt and water in a mixer and blend well until the dough becomes one smooth and elastic piece (knead for 15 minutes by machine or 45 minutes by hand).
• Divide the dough into equal parts and press by hand to remove the air. Shape into balls and grease with melted butter, set aside for at least 15 minutes.
• Preheat the oven to 500 °C.
• Grease four or five pieces with oil.
• Spread the dough pieces on a marble surface and roll out with a rolling pin until they become very thin.
• Pull from all sides and fold from four directions until you get a square shape. Leave the last piece rolled out for the base.
• Put the folded pieces in the middle of the base piece.
• Fold the four sides toward the middle to make a square with the other pieces inside.
• Bring the corners around the filling to make a circle.
• Place on a tray greased with oil.
• Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. The dough can be kept in the refrigerator for 4 days after it is greased with butter.
By Chef Osama