Photo: Layered Pomfret & Rice ( Kuwaiti style) Recipe
1 Kg Zubaidi (pomfret fish)
1 Tablespoon ground spices (ginger, dried lemon, cardamom, cumin, clove, cinnamon, black peeper)
1 Cup olive oil
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
4 Cups water
3 Onions, medium size
1 Celery stalk, cut into chunks
1 Carrot, cut into chunks
1 Lemon, cut into slices
2 Bay leaves
2 Green peppers, cut into julienne
1/4 Cup raisins
1/2 teaspoon saffron
3 Cup stock
1 tablespoon corn oil
4 Cup basmati rice, parboiled
2 Cup yogurt
Salt and papper
- Clean the fish and leave it in salted water with some flour for 30 minutes.
- Rinse and drain in a colander.
- Make slits on both sides of the fish using a sharp knife.
- In a mixing bowl, mix half of the spices, half of the olive oil, lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Marinate the fish, making sure that the marinade is covering all over the fish and into the slits. Set aside.
- Boil water in a large pan. Cut one onion into big chunks, add it to the water.
- Add celery, carrot, lemon and bay leaves.
- Add the marinated fish and let boil for 5 minutes. Take out the fish and set aside.
- Cut the remaining onions into julienne. Heat the remaining oil in another pan over medium heat and sauté the onions.
- Add green pepper, stirring the mixture for 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining spices, raisins, saffron and stock. Season with salt and pepper.
- Let the mixture come to a boil, then lower the heat and let simmer for 7 minutes.
- Grease a large non-stick pan with corn oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix 1 cup rice with yogurt. Spread to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Assemble layers of the fish, onion mixture, the remaining rice alternatively, seasoning each layer with salt and pepper, pressing down slightly.
- Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, lower the heat, cover and let cook for 15 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Let cool. Invert the pan over a large serving plate.
Layered pomfret fish and Basmati rice
Zubaidi is the national Kuwaiti fish